Skip to main content

How to prepare a scientific presentation?

Recently I was looking for how to prepare an effective scientific presentation, and I came across Dr. Susan McConnell's video explaining the same. Dr. Susan is a professor in Biology at Stanford University (https://web.stanford.edu/group/skmlab/page8/index.html). The video is somewhat 10 years old and I found it really good. The length of the video is around 45 mins. I was taking down important points while watching the video and thought I should share so that you can get the important information within a short time. Below I have listed some important points.

Avoid using capital letters - it's hard to read and do not capitalize each word of the sentence as this slows down the reading.
Background - dark letters in a white background or dark background with white/bright yellow letters or blue background with white/yellow letters. For a large audience use a dark background and for a small audience in a classroom white background is sufficient. Avoid red-green combination.

Don't put the institution or university logo and unwanted images on each slide.

Slide heading and information- each slide should have a heading using simple sentences what the slide says (simple statement/facts).
The information should not exceed more than two-sentence in a slide, the exception is a quote.
Lists - The list should contain no more than 3 items. Unveil the list one by one using animation.

Be generous with empty space. Leave space at the boundaries.

Images - Try the best to include one simple image on every slide which is important to convey the message.

Each slide should make one or two points.

How many slides? - 1 slide per minute (45 slides for 45 mins) and no need for this every time. Don't drown the audiences with data, less is more = minimum essential data.

If you are not going to take the time to explain a particular graph or data chart, get rid of it.

Slide transition - avoid fancy transition between slides unless you have a good reason. We can use zoom-in transitions if necessary to focus on a particular part of a picture. Build content progressively using animation technique. 

Add home slide to make transitions effectively and make the audience understand the concept.

Font style - sans serif (arial, comic sans, trebuchet)
Font size - 18 or larger (for references - 14 points)
Dr. Susan also talks about present a scientific presentation which I have not mentioned here.  I highly recommend watching the video. If you have any valuable comments please feel free to mention them so that everyone can improve their presentation.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gedankenexperiment

Amused by hearing the name? It’s the German term for thought experiment, which was first used in the year 1897. So, what is this thought experiment mean? Let’s start with the most famous thought experiment- The Schrödinger’s cat as an example. In this though experiment, a cat is kept in a closed chamber in which there is a glass bottle with a poisonous acid. Connected to a Geiger counter (detector-detects radioactivity), there is a hammer. A radioactive source is also kept inside the box. When the detector detects the radioactivity from the material, the glass bottle is shattered, releasing the poisonous acid and the cat is dead. As an observer we are not aware of the outcome of the experiment. Only if the chamber is opened, the outcome is revealed. So, we can say the cat is live and dead at the same time i.e., in a superposition state. Nothing is real unless it is observed…there is no underlying reality to the world. “Reality,” in the everyday sense, is not a good way to think abou...

The Lady Bug

The war of existence It’s her story. Everyone else is just playing their part. ‘Arthur Conan Doyle’, the British writer, who in my opinion is the biggest mystery solver who ever lived. He has influenced my childhood immensely. Reading those Sherlock Homles stories, I never imagined that one day I will become a crime investigator. One fine morning, when I was having my breakfast, one of my subordinates knocked the door and asked “Sir, May I come in?”. “Yes, come in”. I replied He came in and handed over an envelope. I wiped my hand and examined the envelope. To ASP Anurag Mehta Office of Superintendent of police Nalanda, Bihar Pin-803101 Surprisingly, there was no sender’s address. Bihar is a vibrant state and everyday hundreds of new cases piles up. Murders, suicides, accidents, cheating cases, gang wars and the list goes on and on. Sometimes I feel are we humans with compassion or animals with barbaric tendencies? Whatever it is, I blame the creator who is hav...

Happy New Year

  It's neither an end nor a beginning but a continuum. This is the last post of this year. One year has passed, and a new one is waiting for us. A lot of ups and downs, lot of gains and sacrifices; life goes… Let me share my one-year experience, which for convenience divided into three phases, and each phase has allowed me to see this world from a different angle. I have neither taken any new year resolutions nor made plans for last year. Yet, it all went well. Taking a review gives me a happy feeling; flashes the achievements like a movie scene. I could visualize the changes that occurred sequentially with many memorable moments associated with each phase. Phase I It's a big thing I was away from home, feeling lonely, still having the hangover of the 2020 lockdown. No emotions, no attachment to anyone or anything. I woke up every day like an advanced human species and walked around 2 Kms down the street at 7 AM, heading towards my lab hearing some random podcasts. ...