Skip to main content

The Publication Machines


Every science enthusiast, before joining as a researcher in an institute, has a fascination towards doing experiments and knowing how things work, not thinking about publications that much. But once they join, there is a sudden shift in this passion towards publication. If we ask a researcher- what are you hungry for? They might say "Data". This everlasting hunger won't stop since the system demand "Publish or perish".

I don't know when this "culture" of publish or perish started. When we read books or watch movies on great scientists, thinkers, and philosophers of all time, we never spot an area where they focus on working for publishing. But I am sure that if they were living in this century, they might get this pressure too.

In PhD life, there is only one problem to solve- our project. But our focus shift from solving that mystery or inventing something to collecting data to publish articles. And also, when someone publishes their article in a journal with a high impact factor, we see them as extraordinary, and the pressure, stress, anxiety and depression on us increases unknowingly. I now remember one class during my PhD coursework. In that class, she (one scientist) said, "Don't judge a paper by its impact factor. Some work may have a small amount of data, which might have been presented simply without using any sophisticated technologies, yet it will be relevant to society". She also gave one best example - the invention of PCR by Kary Mullis. "Specific synthesis of DNA in vitro via a polymerase catalyzed chain reaction"- this article was published in Methods in Enzymology, which has an impact factor of less than 1.5.

There is a beautiful quote by the Nobel Prize-winning physicist 'Richard Feynman'- "The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool". This principle is highly applicable in academia since most researchers are frustrated with themselves.

Once I asked one of my seniors- "How to do research?" The reason I got was- Doing research is like learning good magic. It takes a lot of effort, practice, perseverance and will. The key feature is to analyze everything and learn continuously. Do SMART (specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, time-bound) work and be productive (yield/hour) and always begin with the end in mind.

Recently I listened to one podcast on the Ranveer show, where the actor Farhan Akthar said a beautiful quote of 'Alex Trebek'- "Take work seriously and not yourself". I think we should follow this rule if we want to stick in academia. Also, the nine principles of stoicism will significantly help us in the journey.

1. Acknowledge that all emotions come from within you.
2. Find someone you respect and use them to stay honest.
3. Recognize there is a life after failure.
4. Read purposefully and apply your knowledge.
5. Challenge yourself to be brutally honest.
6. Reflect on what you spend the most time on.
7. Remind yourself: you weren't meant to procrastinate.
8. Put the phone away and be present.
9. Remind yourself that time is our most precious resource.

Finally, I like to share one quote by one unknown author which I saw somewhere. This quote is so accurate. I dedicate this one to those who are planning to join academia to pursue a PhD.

"When you thought everything would be easy peasy lemon squeezy, but it's actually difficult difficult lemon difficult".

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gedankenexperiment

Amused by hearing the name? It’s the German term for thought experiment, which was first used in the year 1897. So, what is this thought experiment mean? Let’s start with the most famous thought experiment- The Schrödinger’s cat as an example. In this though experiment, a cat is kept in a closed chamber in which there is a glass bottle with a poisonous acid. Connected to a Geiger counter (detector-detects radioactivity), there is a hammer. A radioactive source is also kept inside the box. When the detector detects the radioactivity from the material, the glass bottle is shattered, releasing the poisonous acid and the cat is dead. As an observer we are not aware of the outcome of the experiment. Only if the chamber is opened, the outcome is revealed. So, we can say the cat is live and dead at the same time i.e., in a superposition state. Nothing is real unless it is observed…there is no underlying reality to the world. “Reality,” in the everyday sense, is not a good way to think abou...

The Lady Bug

The war of existence It’s her story. Everyone else is just playing their part. ‘Arthur Conan Doyle’, the British writer, who in my opinion is the biggest mystery solver who ever lived. He has influenced my childhood immensely. Reading those Sherlock Homles stories, I never imagined that one day I will become a crime investigator. One fine morning, when I was having my breakfast, one of my subordinates knocked the door and asked “Sir, May I come in?”. “Yes, come in”. I replied He came in and handed over an envelope. I wiped my hand and examined the envelope. To ASP Anurag Mehta Office of Superintendent of police Nalanda, Bihar Pin-803101 Surprisingly, there was no sender’s address. Bihar is a vibrant state and everyday hundreds of new cases piles up. Murders, suicides, accidents, cheating cases, gang wars and the list goes on and on. Sometimes I feel are we humans with compassion or animals with barbaric tendencies? Whatever it is, I blame the creator who is hav...

Happy New Year

  It's neither an end nor a beginning but a continuum. This is the last post of this year. One year has passed, and a new one is waiting for us. A lot of ups and downs, lot of gains and sacrifices; life goes… Let me share my one-year experience, which for convenience divided into three phases, and each phase has allowed me to see this world from a different angle. I have neither taken any new year resolutions nor made plans for last year. Yet, it all went well. Taking a review gives me a happy feeling; flashes the achievements like a movie scene. I could visualize the changes that occurred sequentially with many memorable moments associated with each phase. Phase I It's a big thing I was away from home, feeling lonely, still having the hangover of the 2020 lockdown. No emotions, no attachment to anyone or anything. I woke up every day like an advanced human species and walked around 2 Kms down the street at 7 AM, heading towards my lab hearing some random podcasts. ...