Skip to main content

Imposter Syndrome – “The Bug in Our Mind”

Everything is magical before it gets explored.

I have seen people celebrating and cheering on their success. Seeing those moments, my mind says- they should celebrate since they have achieved it”. But when it comes to me, I feel happy for just 1-2 minutes and believe – ‘I got lucky’, ‘this isn’t a big thing’, ‘everyone can do this, ‘there is nothing special about this and me’.

Am I the only one with such a problem?

If you feel the same, I am sorry to say that you are infected just like me. You are experiencing “Imposter Syndrome”. Psychologists first described this syndrome in 1978 and an estimated 70% of people experience it at some point in their lives.

What is it actually? 

The persistent inability to believe that one’s success is deserved or has been legitimately achieved as a result of one’s own efforts or skills. 

In simple terms- It is the belief that we are not as competent or talented as people think we are. 

I do follow Dr. Ali Abdaal, a medical doctor and a content creator, who in his YouTube channel posted a video on Imposter syndrome about 8 months ago, in which he explains an idea that originally belongs to ‘Derek Sivers’- author of the book “Hell yeah or No”.

In that book, he speaks about ‘Obvious to you. Amazing to others.’ This is something I mentioned in the first line- Everything is magical before it gets explored. Once we learn something it is obvious to us and we think it’s no longer interesting and everyone might be knowing that. This feeling makes us think we are not good enough and everything happened by chance. Also, this feeling is followed by anxiety, which slowly puts us in depression, making us think- we don’t belong here.

Imposter syndrome is also common in people who we say are successful. The former US First Lady - Michelle Obama, in one of her public speaking said she still feels "impostor syndrome", adding that "it never goes away".


So how to get rid of this syndrome?

Unfortunately, there is no permanent cure, it stays… just live with it realizing it is normal. But the effect of it on us can be reduced. Since I also feel the imposter syndrome, I found out few methods to tackle it, and let me share with you. 

We are not unique – We think exactly in the way others do. For example, you have started one new blog where you posted an article for which you received great attention among your colleagues and mentors. Suddenly, it puts you in a state where you will be anxious to post another article thinking I got lucky last time and how this will be received. Sometimes, this makes us not do what we were supposed to do. In this scenario, think that you are not special and you fall in the major part of the bell curve just like others.

Compare the present with our past – We all read books, articles, watch videos on the life of successful people and compare it with ourselves. For example, initially, I compared myself with Ali Abdaal, thinking how successful he is, just my age. Why am I like this? I am not worthy. Soon I realized that we both were raised in different places, we haven’t experienced the same conditions. So, I should compare myself with my past and probably learn from him the stuff I need that pushes me and become my better version in the future.

Embrace the failures – This one is the difficult part to digest. We all know failures teach a lot than success. Still, we hate failures and we don’t want to be losers. We all fail by chance and not intentionally. This is because we are not designed to fail. When we were hunter-gatherers, we put our life at risk for food and we never want to fail since it will cost our life. There is no upgradation in this design and we don’t have to blame ourselves. Embracing failure is like learning a new skill and might take time.

Enjoy the achievements – Even if we say “I got lucky”, we must realize one thing that to become lucky we have to position ourself. So, enjoying small achievements can reduce the anxiety and help us to work more since our life is constantly seeking for rewards.

Speak up – Asking for help is not a bad thing. Nobody is going to judge you. Find a community, peer group, or mentor where or whom to which you can share your thoughts and I assure you this will reduce the anxiety very much.

 

Comments

  1. This Short and crisp blog will surely help us to get rid of impostor syndrome..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely penned. Didn't know such things even exist.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Gedankenexperiment

Amused by hearing the name? It’s the German term for thought experiment, which was first used in the year 1897. So, what is this thought experiment mean? Let’s start with the most famous thought experiment- The Schrödinger’s cat as an example. In this though experiment, a cat is kept in a closed chamber in which there is a glass bottle with a poisonous acid. Connected to a Geiger counter (detector-detects radioactivity), there is a hammer. A radioactive source is also kept inside the box. When the detector detects the radioactivity from the material, the glass bottle is shattered, releasing the poisonous acid and the cat is dead. As an observer we are not aware of the outcome of the experiment. Only if the chamber is opened, the outcome is revealed. So, we can say the cat is live and dead at the same time i.e., in a superposition state. Nothing is real unless it is observed…there is no underlying reality to the world. “Reality,” in the everyday sense, is not a good way to think abou...

The Lady Bug

The war of existence It’s her story. Everyone else is just playing their part. ‘Arthur Conan Doyle’, the British writer, who in my opinion is the biggest mystery solver who ever lived. He has influenced my childhood immensely. Reading those Sherlock Homles stories, I never imagined that one day I will become a crime investigator. One fine morning, when I was having my breakfast, one of my subordinates knocked the door and asked “Sir, May I come in?”. “Yes, come in”. I replied He came in and handed over an envelope. I wiped my hand and examined the envelope. To ASP Anurag Mehta Office of Superintendent of police Nalanda, Bihar Pin-803101 Surprisingly, there was no sender’s address. Bihar is a vibrant state and everyday hundreds of new cases piles up. Murders, suicides, accidents, cheating cases, gang wars and the list goes on and on. Sometimes I feel are we humans with compassion or animals with barbaric tendencies? Whatever it is, I blame the creator who is hav...

Happy New Year

  It's neither an end nor a beginning but a continuum. This is the last post of this year. One year has passed, and a new one is waiting for us. A lot of ups and downs, lot of gains and sacrifices; life goes… Let me share my one-year experience, which for convenience divided into three phases, and each phase has allowed me to see this world from a different angle. I have neither taken any new year resolutions nor made plans for last year. Yet, it all went well. Taking a review gives me a happy feeling; flashes the achievements like a movie scene. I could visualize the changes that occurred sequentially with many memorable moments associated with each phase. Phase I It's a big thing I was away from home, feeling lonely, still having the hangover of the 2020 lockdown. No emotions, no attachment to anyone or anything. I woke up every day like an advanced human species and walked around 2 Kms down the street at 7 AM, heading towards my lab hearing some random podcasts. ...