Skip to main content

Steal like an artist - Summary

Recently I read a book - Steal like an artist by Austin Kleon. During my reading, I noted the important points and quotes mentioned in the book. So here I will be pointing out them so that you can get an idea of what the author says in the book without reading the entire book. It's time-saving.


“Start copying what you love. Copy copy copy copy. At the end of the copy, you will find yourself.”

—Yohji Yamamoto

First, you have to figure out who to copy. Second, you have to figure out what to copy.

The writer Wilson Mizner said if you copy from one author, it’s plagiarism, but if you copy from many, it’s research

Don’t just steal the style, steal the thinking behind the style.

“It is our failure to become our perceived ideal that ultimately defines us and makes us unique.”
- Conan O’Brien


The best advice is not to write what you know, it’s to write what you like

“We don’t know where we get our ideas from. What we do know is that we do not get them from our laptops.”
—John Cleese


The artist, Maira Kalman says, “Avoiding work is the way to focus my mind.”

The writer, Steven Pressfield says, “It’s not that people are mean or cruel, they’re just busy.”

There is only one formula to becoming known - Do good work and share it with people.

Learn to code. Figure out how to make a website. Figure out blogging. Figure out Twitter and social media and all that other stuff. Find people on the Internet who love the same things as you and connect with them. Share things with them.

You don’t have to share everything—in fact, sometimes it’s much better if you don’t. Show just a little bit of what you’re working on.

“Don’t worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you’ll have to ram them down people’s throats.”
—Howard Aiken


You don’t have to live anywhere other than the place you are to start connecting with the world you want to be in. If you feel stuck somewhere, if you’re too young or too old or too broke, or if you’re somehow tied down to a place, take heart. There’s a community of people out there you can connect with.

All you need is a little space and a little time—a place to work, and some time to do it; a little self-imposed solitude and temporary captivity.

“Distance and difference are the secret tonics of creativity. When we get home, home is still the same. But something in our mind has been changed, and that changes everything.”
—Jonah Lehrer


There’s only one reason I’m here: I’m here to make friends.

You’re only going to be as good as the people you surround yourself with.

Find the most talented person in the room, and if it’s not you, go stand next to him. Hang out with him. Try to be helpful.

“Modern art = I could do that + Yeah, but you didn’t.”
—Craig Damrauer


Be boring. It's the only way to get work done.

“Be regular and orderly in your life, so that you may be violent and original in your work.”
—Gustave Flaubert


Get a calendar. Fill the boxes. Don’t break the chain.

In this age of information abundance and overload, those who get ahead will be the folks who figure out what to leave out, so they can concentrate on what’s really important to them.

Write a song on your lunch break. Paint a painting with only one colour. Start a business without any start-up capital. Shoot a movie with your iPhone and a few of your friends. Build a machine out of spare parts. Don’t make excuses for not working—make things with the time, space, and materials you have, right now.

“Telling yourself you have all the time in the world, all the money in the world, all the colors in the palette, anything you want—that just kills creativity.”
—Jack White



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gedankenexperiment

Amused by hearing the name? It’s the German term for thought experiment, which was first used in the year 1897. So, what is this thought experiment mean? Let’s start with the most famous thought experiment- The Schrödinger’s cat as an example. In this though experiment, a cat is kept in a closed chamber in which there is a glass bottle with a poisonous acid. Connected to a Geiger counter (detector-detects radioactivity), there is a hammer. A radioactive source is also kept inside the box. When the detector detects the radioactivity from the material, the glass bottle is shattered, releasing the poisonous acid and the cat is dead. As an observer we are not aware of the outcome of the experiment. Only if the chamber is opened, the outcome is revealed. So, we can say the cat is live and dead at the same time i.e., in a superposition state. Nothing is real unless it is observed…there is no underlying reality to the world. “Reality,” in the everyday sense, is not a good way to think abou...

The Lady Bug

The war of existence It’s her story. Everyone else is just playing their part. ‘Arthur Conan Doyle’, the British writer, who in my opinion is the biggest mystery solver who ever lived. He has influenced my childhood immensely. Reading those Sherlock Homles stories, I never imagined that one day I will become a crime investigator. One fine morning, when I was having my breakfast, one of my subordinates knocked the door and asked “Sir, May I come in?”. “Yes, come in”. I replied He came in and handed over an envelope. I wiped my hand and examined the envelope. To ASP Anurag Mehta Office of Superintendent of police Nalanda, Bihar Pin-803101 Surprisingly, there was no sender’s address. Bihar is a vibrant state and everyday hundreds of new cases piles up. Murders, suicides, accidents, cheating cases, gang wars and the list goes on and on. Sometimes I feel are we humans with compassion or animals with barbaric tendencies? Whatever it is, I blame the creator who is hav...

Happy New Year

  It's neither an end nor a beginning but a continuum. This is the last post of this year. One year has passed, and a new one is waiting for us. A lot of ups and downs, lot of gains and sacrifices; life goes… Let me share my one-year experience, which for convenience divided into three phases, and each phase has allowed me to see this world from a different angle. I have neither taken any new year resolutions nor made plans for last year. Yet, it all went well. Taking a review gives me a happy feeling; flashes the achievements like a movie scene. I could visualize the changes that occurred sequentially with many memorable moments associated with each phase. Phase I It's a big thing I was away from home, feeling lonely, still having the hangover of the 2020 lockdown. No emotions, no attachment to anyone or anything. I woke up every day like an advanced human species and walked around 2 Kms down the street at 7 AM, heading towards my lab hearing some random podcasts. ...